95% of the organizations in India have shown dependence on cloud storage. But there are shortcomings and vulnerabilities of cloud hosting in India.
Due to the hype and affordability of cloud storage, businesses have migrated from dedicated servers to cloud storage. Cloud storage providers market their cloud storage in a way that has deviated people from buying a dedicated server. The cloud storage providers provide their customers the hosting plan what they were looking for. Although cloud hosting in India is very cost-effective, still companies should think about data security.
The pricing of cloud storage solutions can be so low sometimes that it might intimidate you. In the end, you are responsible for your client’s data. There are security concerns that are possible on cloud storage. Cloud storage is accessible to multiple users which is its biggest issue. More the people get access to the storage platform, the greater are the chances for the security breaches. Also, the data is stored in bulk on cloud storage this further increases the chances for potential hackers. Thus, it is important to know how your data is protected. For this, we have come up with some of the most unique ways to improve the security of your cloud storage.
Steps to strengthen cloud security
The very first step towards strengthened data security is by selecting reliable cloud hosting in India. If your cloud storage solution is reliable then there is nothing to worry about data security. A reliable cloud hosting solution protects your system from malware and cybersecurity threats. Apart from selecting a reliable cloud hosting solution, there are other ways to strengthen data security. Let’s explore the steps that can strengthen your cloud storage-
- Modifying the privacy settings– Signing in to any cloud storage without going through the privacy settings is one of the most common mistakes. Privacy settings are to ensure that sensitive information is not shared on your website while cloud migration. When you migrate over a cloud platform, do not share any sensitive information initially. So, you need to set your privacy settings and then go forward with cloud migration. Cloud storage should be given limited access to all the data and keep your sensitive data secured by keeping it in-house
- Always use strength passwords– Approximately 75% of security breaches on cloud storage occur due to the use of weak passwords. A weak password is a gateway for many security hackers and an invitation to security breaches. Thus, compromising the strength of the passwords of your accounts will lead to a catastrophe. Different accounts can have different passwords depending on the sensitivity of the information they store. Accounts with more sensitive information must be secured with much more complex passwords. Shorter passwords can be kept for other accounts wherein there are fewer chances of hacking. Your passwords should not be of less than 8 characters and must be a combination of numbers, alphabets, and special characters. You should also practice updating the passwords more frequently.
- Use of Two-factor authentication– While verifying identities, password verification is thought to be reliable enough. But the reality is a little bit different. Password verification is not enough to verify the identity of individuals that are trying to access your accounts. Your business needs two-factor authentication that cross-verifies the authenticity of all the identities accessing our accounts. Two-factor authentication can be attained with the help of a question, key number, etc. If you don’t want to eliminate all risks, then you can install an authentication app that takes care of two-point authentication. Additional security measures like these become necessary when you want to keep your sensitive data optimally secured.
- Don’t migrate all the data and applications over cloud– During cloud migration, organizations forget to separate their sensitive data and applications and migrate everything over overcloud. They ignore the fact that not all data is good to be stored over a cloud initially. The data which is crucial for your clients like their security numbers, IDs, etc. should be kept on-premise. A single instance of a client’s data breach is more than enough to ruin your company’s reputation forever. Thus, high-priority applications and data as well as your company’s must be stored in-house. Once you have gained that level of trust then there is no harm migrating all the data over the cloud.
- Keep on updating your operating system– Irrespective of the type of your Operating System, its version must keep on updating. Understanding the ongoing update and version becomes tricky. The operating system’s update notifications keep on nudging and disturb the flow of work. Working on an old operating system version for your business is quite unprofessional and thus should not be practiced. Older versions of your OS attract more bugs and malware and gives way to unexpected inconveniences. Therefore, these notifications should never be ignored. So, keep your OS updated so that nothing goes wrong in the backend. The steps we have enlisted assure data security on the cloud storage. Once these steps are implemented on time, the security of cloud storage strengthens. While going through these steps also, you will get to know that there is much we can do for the security. There will be experiences of real-time issues and try troubleshooting steps.
You can also opt for a test run of your cloud storage. Test running is the most pragmatic to check the reliability of your cloud storage and the future of your data.
There will be real-time problems once your data is migrated overcloud. But with time, you will understand how to deal with additional data security issues.
Our hosting experts will try to come with solutions to your cloud-related issues. Till then keep on finding ways to keep your data secured and your clients intact.