Gnats, or otherwise known as the small flying insects that you see inside your home, can truly be annoying to deal with. Gnats are attracted to water & food, just like any other pests. They can be found inside the kitchen, the dining room, the bathroom and practically everywhere.
However, the good news is that – like fruit flies, they don’t bite. The bad news is that – they can carry disease-causing bacteria like mosquitoes. So, how can you remove gnats from your home premises? Read on to find out more.
Where Do Gnats Come From?
According to professional services for house cleaning in Bristol, fruit flies, and gnats come into your home through holes, cracks, and other openings inside your home, such as the windows or the foundation. These creatures are the most active when the weather is warm.
Gnats come into your home from dirty trash cans, compost piles, animal feces, rotting wood, and so on. Since they tend to have a long range of smell, they are very efficient in locating the source of any food and thereby quickly move into your home and set up their breeding station.
Is It Possible To Remove Gnats From Your Kitchen?
It should be remembered that food is the main source for which gnats are attracted to your kitchen. One of the best ways through which you can get rid of gnats is by conjuring up a solution that contains the following ingredients:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dish soap
Try mixing two tablespoons of sugar along with vinegar, coupled with some dish soap and some water into the bowl. Now you need to put the bowl near the sink in your kitchen. When the gnats (and fruit flies) will be attracted to the scent, they’ll get stuck into the soapy solution.
Some additional preventive measures to eliminate the entry of gnats inside your kitchen:
- Don’t ever leave dirty plates, food or used glasses inside your kitchen.
- Always keep your kitchen sink clean at all times and keep the sink dry when not in use.
- Always wipe down your kitchen counters as well as your dining table after every usage.
- If you have any leaky faucets or pipes, don’t forget to repair them right away.
- Empty your trash cans every day, so that there’s no chance of gnats getting attracted.
- Always remove any rotten or overripe vegetable or fruit, and proceed to seal them off in a disposal bin or a trash bag.
- Try to clean up any spills of beverage such as beer, wine and the like.
Therefore, it can be easily seen from the above-mentioned examples that the only way to combat the entry of gnats is to keep your home neat, clean & tidy at all times.