Yes, even we agree that age is just a number. But you shouldn’t forget that after a certain stage, you tend to become more vulnerable to lots of factors. Like your health for example. You know it may face a downward curve after you reach the age of 60. Similarly, even when you are driving a car, you have to be more careful when you’ve reached this stage.
Important pointers to remember if you are driving a car after reaching 60!
Driving can actually seem a bit challenging after you reach an advanced stage of your life. You tend to find some complexities in following the road rules and even remembering the directions properly. Don’t worry, it is entirely normal. Just remember that you have to be a bit more careful than you were before when you drive a vehicle alone after reaching the age of sixty. So, ensure to follow these safety tips while handling the steering alone.
- Stay physically active — Staying physically active is an essential factor that you just can’t ignore after reaching the age of sixty. Not just for your driving experience, but even for your day-to-day activities — the more active you are, the more beneficial it is for you. And if you are regularly commuting to work or somewhere in your car, then ensure that you are following a very active lifestyle and exercise regime. Only then would you be able to manage constant acceleration and pressing of the brakes while handling the gears and steering simultaneously.
- Schedule your eyesight and hearing appointments regularly — Problems in eyesight and hearing are quite normal after you reach the age of sixty. That is why it is important that you keep contacting your doctor and schedule regular appointments to check your eyesight and ears. If you wear glasses or hearing aids, then put them on while driving.
- Manage medications wisely — Lots of medications have this tendency to instigate drowsiness in a person. If you are prescribed any such medication, ensure that you are taking them wisely. Because if you consume such a medicine just before driving, there are very high chances that you will feel sleepy during this activity.
- Drive in good condition of roads — Lots of wreckers in Auckland like Scrap Cars, who tend to collect accident-prone and damaged cars from your property and provide you good rates for them, convey the fact that the majority of cars available with them get damaged due to bad roads. So, you have to be very careful when driving on such roads because a single mistake while handling the car can lead to disasters.
- Drive during the day — If you think you can’t see clearly during the night or are not confident enough to drive in the dark, then it is better that you take the car out only during the day. It’s because the chances of accidents during the night (and darkness) are more as compared to the daytime.
These tips are going to be very helpful for you if you are over the age of 60 and driving a car. We hope you stay safe while managing a vehicle on your own.