When it comes to your well-being, you might be confused and even overwhelmed by the number of options for treatments available to you. Whatever treatment you opt for, you should not neglect the importance of mental health. Due to the stigma around them, the number of cases of mental disorders is on a meteoric rise. The most widespread misconception, ‘it’s all in your head’, can only exacerbate such disorders. Fortunately, you can visit a therapy center in San Antonio, Texas, to consult and work with a professional behavioral therapist to work out your issues and get some required help to alleviate your mental disorders.
What is behavioral therapy?
Throughout our lifetime, we will acquire some unhealthy and destructive behaviors. In fact, recent scientific studies have shown that some behaviors are passed to us from our parents through DNA replication, which was thought to be impossible before. A behavioral therapist in San Antonio can help you identify and change these harmful behaviors. The principle behind such therapy is simple: Behaviors are mental constructs and thus can be changed effectively.
But how should you know if you should go to such therapy?
Sometimes admitting to the fact that you need professional help can be the most challenging part. Some people might underestimate the need for a professional, thinking that they can make those required changes by themselves. While this is an ode to willpower, a professional has years of knowledge, experience, and skills to help you effectively.
The most common mental disorders for which people work with a behavioral therapist in San Antonio are depression, anxiety, anger issues, and panic disorders. But the effectiveness of behavioral therapy is not limited to these disorders, but it can also help if you have:
- Substance abuse addiction
- Eating disorders
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Self-harm tendencies
- Bipolar disorder
- ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
- OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
Such disorders can hinder you from even carrying out your daily tasks or lead a quality life. Thus, it is evident why so many people opt to work with a reliable and trusted behavioral therapist in San Antonio.
Different types of behavioral therapy
There are several different types of such therapy due to various schools of thought. But since all of them branch out from a single principle, they all have a single end goal. Some types are:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: It combines two different types of therapy: Cognitive and Behavioral. This treatment simply focuses on the subject’s thoughts and beliefs as they guide actions and moods. The long-term goal of this therapy is to change the person’s behavior and thinking to healthier ones.
- Aversion Therapy: Such treatments are often beneficial for people with excessive drinking or substance abuse habits. But how does it work? The behavioral therapist in San Antonio will help you associate an unpleasant stimulus with the behavior in question so you feel averse to it with time. Hence, the name might be making sense to you now. For example, the therapist can teach you to remember a bad experience whenever you give in to your urge to drink alcohol.
- System desensitization: It heavily relies on classic conditioning. What does it mean? It simply refers to training your body to replace a fear response with a more relaxing and pleasant one. It might seem simple, yet it takes time and is the best way to deal with phobias.
But does it work?
You have done your research about the best therapy center in San Antonio, Texas. You have even found a reliable and experienced therapist. But you are still on edge about this therapy. Does it work? You might be wondering. It is a valid question. In the field of medicine, there are so many new treatments that it can be challenging to know which one will work the best for you.
Behavioral therapy is not something new. The term was first coined in 1953, even though it has been used for centuries. Some psychologists even draw incredible parallels between stoicism and behavioral therapy since both of these consider your emotions and thoughts to be behind your actions.
If you are still on edge about this therapy, you should consult with your preferred behavioral therapist in San Antonio and know yourself what about it makes countless people worldwide make use of it.